100 Creative Journal Prompts For Middle Schoolers
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you.
I’ve always been a lover of the written word. My mom jokes that I was born with a book, a notebook, and an ink pen in my hand. Now as a homeschooling mom and having worked in the education field, I know that not all kids are born with a natural love for writing.
For some kids this is a skill that has to be cultivated and practiced over and over again. One of the ways, I’ve gotten my kids to at least NOT hate writing is through prompt journaling. I learned early on that part of their dislike for writing came from them not having a clue what to write about. So I look the guesswork out of it by giving them FUN and sometimes personal prompts to write about.
Today I’m sharing 100 of those prompts with you. It is my hope that these prompts will help your child either enjoy writing more or at least dislike it less than they currently do. And in the process they’ll be honing their writing skills and on their way to becoming better and hopefully less reluctant writers.
100 Writing Prompts For Kids
1. My favorite thing in the whole world is . . .
2. If someone asked me to describe myself I would say . . .
3. Five things I like to do on the weekend are . . .
4. Look a window and describe what it looks like outside. What colors and shapes do you see?
5. One thing I want to do when I get older is . . .
6. Describe your favorite place in the world. Where is it? Why do you like it? What does it look like there?
7. When I grow up I want to be . . .
8. Someone that I admire a lot is . . .
9. Name one personal object that is very special to you. Describe what it looks like. Where did you get it and why is it special to you?
10. My favorite holiday is . . .
11. If I wrote a book it would be about . . .
12. Describe one thing that you are good at. How did you learnt it? Do like being good at it?
13. Name three things that make you sad. Why do they make you sad?
14. One thing or topic I would love to learn more about is . . .
15. Write a short story about a dog named Spike.
16. If I could be any animal for a day, I would be . . .
17. Have you ever done something that you wish hadn’t? What was it? How did it make you feel?
18. What is your favorite television show? When do you watch it? Why do you like watching it?
19. If you could breathe underwater like Aquaman or fly through space like Captain Marvel, which would you pick? Why?
20. My last dream was about . . .
21. Describe your perfect day. What would you do? Where would you go? Who would you spend time with?
22. Two things that make me excited are . . .
23. If I was stranded on an island I would take . . .
24. If you could hang out with one famous person, who would it be? What would you do with them?
25. If I had $100, I would . . .
26. What would you do if you could travel to outer space?
27. Who is one person you trust? Why do you trust them?
28. What is the best book you’ve ever read? What was it about? What did you like about it?
29. Do you think homeschool should be banned from school? Why or why not?
30. Which animal do you think would make a better pet- a fish or a bird? Why?
31. Describe your dream vacation. Where would you go? What would you do there?
32. What are four foods that you dislike? Why do you dislike them? Do they taste awful or have an unpleasant smell?
33. In my free time I like to . . .
34. Set a timer for ten minutes and write about anything you want to.
35. If you go invited to a costume party what would you wear? Why would you choose that costume?
36. Do you like snow days? Why or why not?
37. Describe your favorite snack food. Is it homemade or do you buy it from a store? How does it taste?
38. What does family mean to you?
39. Three things I want people to know about me are . . .
40. If I could change one thing about my community it would be . . .
41. What is one thing about yourself that you are really proud of? Why does this make you proud?
42. Name three things that make you laugh. Why are they funny?
43. What is your favorite animal? What does it look like? Have you ever seen it in person?
44. If you could make one new law, what would it be? Why would you make it?
45. List four things that you own that are in your favorite color. What do they look like? Where did you get them from?
46. Write a poem about Spring.
47. Write your full name. See how many words you can make using just those letters.
48. I feel my most happiest when . . .
49. To me freedom means . . .
50. What makes a person a good friend?
51. What is your favorite meal to have for lunch and/or dinner? Do you know how to cook it? How often do you get to eat it?
52. Write about two things that happened to you today. How did they make you feel?
53. What is your biggest fear and why?
54. Write a letter to your future self.
55. If you could have one superpower what would it be?
56. What is your favorite hobby? How did you learn how to do it?
57. What are things that you are grateful for right now?
58. What do you love most about yourself and why?
59. Write a short story about a butterfly.
60. Do you think kids should be get paid for chores? Why or why not?
61. Something I wish adults understood about kids is . . .
62. If I could do anything next month, I would . . .
63. What is your dream pet and why?
64. Would you want to live in a world with no adults? Why or why not?
65. If I were principal for a day I would . . .
66. What is the best gift anyone has ever given you? Who gave it to you? Do you still have it?
67. My favorite thing about summer break is . . .
68. In five years, I think I will . . .
69. Why do you think the chicken crossed the road?
70. If you could learn one new skill this month, what would it be? Why?
71. What are two thing you wish you knew about the future?
72. If could invent anything, I would create . . .
73. What kind of animals would you own if you had a farm like Old MacDonald?
74. Make a bucket list.
75. Do you think kids should have cell phones? Why or why not?
76. What do you like about your neighborhood?
77. Write three original “Knock, Knock” jokes.
78. If I found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, I would . . .
79. Would you want to switch places with your parents or guardian for the day? What would you do?
80. How would you decorate your room if you had no restrictions and an unlimited amount of money?
81. Write a letter to your best friend.
82. My least favorite holiday is . . .
83. What is your favorite kind of music to do listen to?
84. If I could pick any celebrity to replace one of my teachers, I would choose . . .
85. Today, I feel . . .
86. If you had a treehouse, what would you keep in it?
87. Write a poem about the moon.
88. What would you do if a volcano erupted in your neighborhood?
89. I think kids should be able to vote because . . .
90. My least favorite thing to do is . . .
91. If I could choose anyone to put on a dollar bill or coin, I would choose . . .
92. The last time I cried was . . .
93. Do you think punishments really help people learn their lessons?
94. What is your favorite game to play? Why do you like to play it? Do you play it with anyone?
95. Would you ever run for president? Why or why not?
96. What is your favorite movie? What is it about?
97. What do you think you were like as a baby?
98. If I could ask my parents three questions, I would ask them . . .
99. I think social media is . . .
100. One thing I can do to make this world a better place is . . .
To make it easy to try out some of these prompts with your child, I created this free downloadable pdf. This way you can print out this list and have it handy at all times. You can also purchase my official 10 Min Writing workbook journals here and here or using the widget below or you can purchase printables from my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
Leave a Reply